Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Art Project

The other day Jaxon received a flyer from school telling them about Reflections. I was excited, since I had won Reflections in elementary once and wanted him to have the same experience with Art. The them however was "Diversity Means..." I asked him what diversity meant and I got the blank stare and a random guess. I kept pushing the issue and we even got an idea until I found out each student has to explain why their project goes with "Diversity Means..." He had no idea and I was bummed but we decided to make it a family art project. The boys and I went downstairs with our canvas, crayons and hairdryer. At first we were going to do each canvas one color, blue, yellow and red. Until we realized how mundane peeling labels off crayons is. So we combined our efforts and each boys picked a color, peeled their crayons, and got to help hot glue the crayons onto the canvas. The best part was using the hairdryer to heat up and melt the crayons and watch the action. I was so proud of them and it was so much fun for me, as their mother, to see them get excited about art. I am in no way artistic naturally, but I am a good copier and I loved it when I was little. My mom's uncle was an artist and I remember copying his drawings for hours on end. Mostly they were of old houses and the countryside but that's when I started to love to draw. Unfortunately that talent wasn't used and it disappeared. We are hanging it up in the boys bedroom and we now just need a couple more projects like that to have it all decorated. Man I love my boys!


No comments: