Saturday, July 26, 2008
Bryce Canyon Half Marathon
We did it again this time! Another goal completed, I don't know if this was Jeff's favorite though! We drove up the Bryce Canyon Friday night and met my parents, and Mitch and Cami. We ate dinner at this ribs place, poor choice for all of us! We checked in for the race in Cannonville and were able to check out the course on the way. All down hill a tiny hill right before Tropic and one little one at mile 11. We stayed in Panguitch that night and for once before a race I actually slept all night long and felt ready to go. Jeff on the other hand was up every hour or so in the bathroom-need I say more-dinner didn't sit well with him at all. I was so worried when he told me because he is my running partner we've been able to do all our long runs together. So I said a quick little prayer and we drove to Ruby's Inn for the start. Jeff said he was feeling pretty good at the start so away we went. It was insane seeing all the people running and so motivating. Everyone is so different; size, shape, age, etc... And everyone is so positive!!! I love it!! The first 4 miles are downhill like 8% grade, I was praying for a flat by the end but we were making good time 9 minute miles not too bad. That was until mile 8 I am just in the zone plodding along and starting to feel the miles when all of a sudden I look next to me and Jeff is nowhere to be found, I turn around zigzagging trying to see if I can see where he went and nothing. So I kept on going, hoping he is okay. At mile 11 I was dead but I only had two left the last mile a finally found the strength to sprint, well stride to the finish line and I was so so happy to be done. I turn around just looking for Jeff and about 15 minutes later he finishes and is so so sick. He was sick like that the rest of the day. I honestly don't know how he did it I would have quit and called it good for sure. He was so tough. We finished that is what counts and I don't know how people do marathons but I am sure, though Jeff wouldn't agree yet, that we will do one someday soon! This race was perfect for our first half marathon. We will post pics later, I still need my mom to email me some.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's awesome! That's such an accomplishment, maybe someday I'll do a 10K and that'll be a huge accomplishment for me :) ha ha.
Way to go Jeff and Melina!!! What an accomplishment!
Post a Comment