Friday, May 7, 2010

My Ironman

He did, he did it, he did it! He is an ironman and wow was it the most amazing event I have ever been to in my life. So inspiring and motivating. We want to says thanks to everyone who was there to support. I got teary everytime I heard of someone new wanting to know how he was doing and who was there giving their support. It was such an example to me of what a true friend is because he had so many cheering him on, it shows me what an amazing person he is. So caring about others and never forgetting little details of their life. He is always interested in them and takes time to build those relationships and Saturday was proof of that. What a crazy week it was the week before the event. I have never seen him so serious, he wasn't much for talking and when we did it was about times and transition and race prep. On Friday we went down with my family for the kids race, Jax was totally stoked about this! We ate dinner with Ashlee and Bret Nelson and they were so sweet to invite us, it worked out perfectly! The kids ran their 200 meter race and finished across the same finish line as Jeff. I didn't even see Jax, he was a blur! We went back to Cedar while Jeff stayed at the motel and tried to get some needed sleep. On Saturday I woke up at 3:30 am not able to sleep, so I texted Jeff to make sure he was awake. Obviously he was and just getting ready. We left the house at 5:15 AM right on schedule and I was all nerves for him. When we came down the Hurricane hill the traffic was at least 2 miles long waiting to get in to park at the fairgrounds. We made it on the shuttle buses and ran over to the race. I wanted to see him so bad before but there were way too many people, I just kept shouting his name and getting funny looks. Bev and Joe took Hunter and that helped so much! The boys were seriously the best troopers ever! We watched the start and my gut was hurting 2000 people swimming all at the same time! When they sounded the gun some people were still not even in the water. He did so awesome! It took him 1 hour and 22 min. and transition went well. We saw him fly by on his bike and it was so quick I was having withdrawls not being able to see him for longer than 2 seconds. Long story short he had a GPS to track him on the race and it didn't work, so so bummed. Luckily we had tons of friends helping and I have never been so thankful for texting and my phone. Their updates saved us! We got shuttled back, hurried up with lunch and booked it over to Red Hills Parkway to see him go around on his second lap! The whole family was there, his side and mine, looking for him. We kept debating whether he had passed already or not and while thus debating speeding past us he went with Mari screaming there he is! He had the funniest look on his face, like why aren't you all cheering? Here I am! We screamed his name and then we went to the pool for a quick swim. I was dead set on seeing him get off the bike and start into the run. Luckily Bev and Joe had staked out an excellent spot and we saw him get off the bike. I told everyone I was ignoring everyone so I wouldn't miss him this time and my mom was so great to take Hunter (who was starving) and bounce him around. He did the bike in 7hrs. 53 min. We knew the run would be tough all around and it was. He finished the run in 6 hours and 22 min. and I could tell on the turn around it was going to be tough. He did so awesome though, this was his first ever marathon. Not exactly the best time to do your first marathon after a 2.4 mile swim and 112 bike. He finished in 15:58 and I have never been so proud. My mom was so great to stay with the sleeping kids and he had so many people there to support him. It was a crazy day but I will say the most motivating and inspiring day ever. I learned you can't judge someone from the outside because they come in all shapes and sizes and finish just the same. It takes a lot of heart and not only is this race a physical challenge but a mental one as well. He was sore the next few days, after a lot of icy hot and massages twice a day he was back and having training withdrawls. The part that makes me cry everytime though is when each person crosses the finish line the announcer says, "Jeff Burgess You Are An Ironman!" He is and will always be our ironman! Way to go babe. Pics will come later and video

3 comments:

Jeanine said...

YEAH!! Congrats to Jeff! and you! Nick and I were so glued to the computer watching and listening to person after person cross and them announce 'So and So You Are An Ironman!!' It was so motivating. It really is such a show of mental strength! Congrats!!

kadeandmaddie said...

Congrats! That is awesome and sounds like it was an intense day.

Rach said...

Melina, I am BAWLING! Haha. That is so awesome that they announce his name and say he is an ironman! I am still crying trying to type! you guys are awesome and so inspiring. Way to Go JEFF! We were there Saturday thinking of him, but couldn't get close enough to the races to see anything. I should have researched it more and knew where to be at what times. Congrats on your family accomplishment!