Saturday, September 3, 2011

Abscessed tooth

I week or so ago Jake started complaining about his mouth. Coming from a family that constantly gets canker sores I figured he had one and tried to get him to just let it get better. I also knew he was due for a dentist appt. soon and it could definitely be a cavity with this kiddo. The next day it hurt him when we brushed his teeth and he was screaming at me. He wouldn't tell me exactly where it hurt and I couldn't see anything wrong. He just kept screaming and then I started losing it because I felt helpless that I couldn't fix it for him. We had to run a quick errand and he fell asleep at 10am, so I knew something had to be wrong. He woke up screaming and holding his face again so I gave him some Tylenol and he fell back asleep for 3 hours. That night I was dreading but he slept all night. However when he came into our bed in the morning his face was huge and swollen and he had a fever. I had no idea what it could be. We called the dentist and they told me it was an abscessed tooth. The kid was so patient to wait till the afternoon when they had an opening for him. We know his dentist pretty well and I trust him so much. He looked at the x-ray and said the tooth was abscessed but there was no reason why and we would have to pull it. They sedated him and the Dr. said when he went in there was so much pressure behind it it burst all over. (Sorry kinda graphic) He was hurting that first day and so out of it, but the next day he was like a new kid even though his face stayed swollen for four days afterward. The dentist gave him a cool little tooth carrier and the tooth fairy came to visit us for the first time. What a brave kid. Hope is doesn't happen again though.




1 comment:

Steph H said...

Poor boy! And scary as a mom to not know what's wrong or how to fix it.