Sunday, August 31, 2008

Canning Craze

This week as well as last week too has been nothing but vegetables and fruit!!! Every day for the past two weeks at about 9am we take the kids over to Grandma's to play (its much more fun than our own house) and we start to bottle peaches, green beans and make jam. The kids have been so good and Grandma has been awesome to let us invade her house, make a mess of the kitchen as well and everything else and watch the kids when she gets home. We are going to do our first round of pickles. I have never done them before and we planted three cucumber plants and we can't eat anymore of them, as good as they taste. I am also planning on doing a batch of spaghetti sauce too if I can find the time. Sometimes I feel like a pioneer, this is just what the HAD to do to live on through the winter. We are so blessed with so much! So hopefully by the end of the next month of two we will have our stores of food for the winter. If anyone wants some fresh veggies we are happy to share our produce, especially cucumbers, so just come over or call.

3 comments:

Heath Family said...

Melina,

You'll have to teach me how to can...I'm so not a pioneer! Looks like you guys have been having fun.

Brittnie said...

You are the "All-American Mom"! Really I was just telling Greg the other night after we had seen you at the cabin, that you are so cool and can doing it ALL!

Steph H said...

What the heck, how did you get so domestic? I've never canned in my life, nor has my mom. I think we've got no chance, we're probably gonna starve this winter. Ah, shoot.