Monday, August 18, 2008

Xterra Mountain Championships

My dad called me a few weeks ago and asked if I wanted to do a relay trialthlon with him and my brother Nate. What do you think my answer was? I was pumped!!! It was the Xterra Mountain Championships at Snowbasin, UT. My brother Nate did the swim, my dad biked, and I ran! When we got to Pineview Dam for the swim I was shocked, there were seriously so many people and pro triathletes too, like Melanie McQuaid, she has won like 3 times the world championships. I started to get nervous like I always do and I only had to run. Nate did so awesome and swam so fast, what a great swimmer if only I could do that. My dad was awesome I don't know how he does it. He has biked forever and he has the old helmet, just round, not aerodynamic, its ancient! His bike with no shocks at all!!! He rode up the course in 1hr. 40 min. and was awesome! While I was in transition I was able to see all the pros come in just amazing! My dad and I slapped hands and I took off. I didn't know the course at all except I knew it had mostly hills and you weren't kidding! I turn the corner and we ran straight up the ski hill. I was so tired I walked and kept trying to pump myself up: "Your only running, everyone else already swam and biked, you can't walk!" But it was grueling. Thankfully it leveled off in the trees and them up we went again till finally I see people going down and I sprinted as fast as I could to the finish trying to make up for walking, but it was the most fun race I have ever done. The great thing about these races is everyone is so pumped and positive and excited and it just gets you going and motivated to do better and be better. I just love it! Thanks mom and dad and Nate, you guys are awesome and mom you had just as good a workout as the rest of us chasing those boys! Thanks I love you. Pics coming soon!

2 comments:

The Smith's said...

How funny... I ran the leg of this race on a relay team too! It was a monster but totally worth it when you come down that last hill to the finish line and hear everyone calling your name!!
Congrats!!

The Hammonds said...

That is so awesome Lena! I want to do a relay. That would be so much fun! Seriously. Next time you hear of one let me know, and I want to join. I miss you. I haven't seen you forever! I miss your cute family too.
love ya
Karrie