Every year we love to have a Christmas party with all of Jeff's high school buddies. Luckily I have come to love their wives as much as he likes his friends. We have had the party different places and here a few times, its always so much fun to get ready and have so much fun with everyone and good food. Well this year we were having it here so the other night Jeff and I were just finishing dinner with the kids and talking about putting the leaf in the table to sit more people, the only problem was that we have this huge sheet of tempered glass on top and it would look funny to have it covered in glass except for a foot on each end where it had been expanded. I suggested taking it off but Jeff said he didn't want to because he didn't want to risk breaking it. Understandable its expensive and where are we going to store a 6'x4' sheet of glass. While this conversation is going on; Hunter is on my lap tired of listening to the conversation, Jake is sitting in the high chair that connects directing to the table, and Jaxon is hanging on the high chair wanting a turn. In between sentences to Jeff, I am telling Jake to get out of the chair because he is too heavy and could break it and telling Jaxon over again to stop hanging on the chair because it will break. Not 20 seconds after Jeff utters the words, I don't want to move it so it won't break. With the pressure of Jax hanging and Jake's weight that's a total of 80ish pounds. Our glass shatters into a million pieces!!! This is no joke! Jake starts screaming, "I'm DEAD!!" Jax runs into the pantry guilty, and Hunter screams. Jeff sits there dumbfounded and I am in shock, then a start to cry for 10 seconds, and then I can't stop laughing!!! Did this really happen not 20 seconds before we said we didn't want it to break???!!! Yes. Needless to say, Jake isn't dead or even hurt, just scared and finally after five years the Spirit actually helped my react the right way. If you would have told me that my kids would have broken the glass and asked how I would have reacted, without any guilt I would have told you I would have raised my voice to the highest and sentenced them to years of imprisonment in their room! But magically Jeff and I just laughed, I told Jax it was an accident and don't worry about all the while holding back more laughter. We cleaned it up an hour later, moving all sorts of furniture. The dilemma of moving the glass for the party was fixed and on we went. Now if only I could react the right way all the other times trauma hits! Here are some pictures of the damage...



2 comments:
that is hilarious!!! it was so great hanging out that night. my girls still keep talking about your boys... they had a great time too!! i wish we lived closer. i'm super excited for the lake powell trip!!
Oh, that sucks!! But way to be so calm about it. I'm impressed with you! I think I would've started crying.
Post a Comment