Sunday, October 12, 2008
I want a turn!
So today in fast and testimony meeting. I was just listening and trying to entertain the kids when Jaxon starts paying attention to the speaker. Ok, no big deal, that is great I think. When the guy finishes he says; "Mom, I want a turn!" And I said, "To bear your testimony?" Yeah! What am I supposed to do? I know that they have said you shouldn't take your kids up there. They have to be old enough to go by themselves and say their testimonies all alone. I keep trying to think of ways to postpone this. He isn 't old enough to do this yet, is he? I've never seen a three year old get up and do this. Finally two more people go and he says is it my turn next. I tell him that it is for older people. Then I start to get this feeling that I should just get up and he can watch. No that won't do, he wants to and he is starting to throw a fit. You can't have a fight over bearing your testimony, is that sacreligious? Then this like 7yr. old gets up and does so good, talks about the scriptures, his family, the prophet. And Jax says, but he is little and he did it. I want a turn! So I keep asking him what are you going to say when you get up there and he says, "I want to bear a testimony, i like scriptures, i love my family, Amen. So we walk up to the first row and I am trying to coach him so he says it the same. I know mom, let me go first. So I mouthed to Bro. Brinkerhoff and asked if he could and he said yes. I say, its your turn! He goes up to the microphone and he started to talk but the stand wasn't lowering fast enough so all you heard was Amen. He said, " I want to bear my testimony. Name of Jesus Christ Amen!" He skipped the middle but was so excited. I bore my testimony afterwards. It is just amazing that a three year old would want to do that! I guess it was Heavenly Father's way of getting me to "have a turn" when I haven't for three years gotten up. The Lord knew that I needed to do that and I have already felt the blessings of getting up. That is why the Lord, tells us to be as little children. In Relief Society I was thinking about all of this and realized that for the past three years I have felt spiritually lost, it doesn't help having two kids in those 3 yrs. and not really paying much attention to any sort of lesson or meeting due to entertaining. I have felt to spiritually lost, even when I am reading my scriptures and praying. And today was the first day in so long that I felt the spirit prompting me as a mother and as a person. I think that testimony meeting is so important, bearing your testimony brings blessings that nothing else can, and it opens your heart to the spirit. I am so thankful for my little prompting angel Jaxon today. He has opened my eyes and given me the spiritual strength I have been needing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I love this post. Of course it is so cute that Jaxon wanted a turn and really did it. But what a great message, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for that Melina! I totally know what you mean--some days I wonder why we are even at church because we're just in the hall the whole time. But it is really important to be able to guide your family with the spirit. I really appreciated your post!
Aw. This post brings tears to my eyes. I love hearing primary...or nursery kids bare their testimonies, it helps me keep on track too. Heavenly Father has angels watching over you guys!!
Melina, what a missionary your son was on Sunday! Motherhood is always the hardest at first, but you are setting the example by taking your kids to church. Even if you feel you didn't get spiritually fed.
I was primary chorister, for 2 years and haven't felt the spirit stronger than ever before. Children have a way to teach you, that is why they are so precious!!
Anyways, I miss you a ton! When I am not so tired I will try to keep my blog updated more, I really want to keep in touch!
Love Kris
Loved to hear this story! How sweet is he? I have never heard that little kids shouldn't go up there-that's my favorite part!
First of all, you are a hot mama at Powell Melina! We have a little microphone hog at our house who asks every week if it's fast sunday. She loves it, but she walks up there and does it all by herself now, so we can be lazy! You just have to train them
Lina, I think it was a great thing you let Jaxon do that, kids need to know that it is good to share their feelings in many different ways. Not too long ago I bore mine in Relief Society and was telling Kurtis about it, Kambry over heard, the next Sunday she wanted to do the same, I tried to coach her, but she said she could do it, she went up to the podium, stood on the stool, giggled a little bit, then said "I love the church, my mommy and daddy, I love Primary and I love Jesus, Amen." So simple, but could not be more precise. I have since been more motivated to follow the promptings I get, whether in Sacrament or Relief Society, I share mine more often.
Hey, I found your blog from Brittney Romney. I hope you don't mind. I thought this was so cute when he did that. I loved it. Wouldn't it be nice to have that fearlessness that the kids have. They are examples for sure.
Jaxon is so cute! I know that kids are definately closer to the spirit and can always put things into perspective for us! Thanks for sharing!
Wow, you really are so great. I'm so impressed with what a good mother you are. You are a good example to all of us about listening to the spirit--I need to do that more too.
i've felt like this too, but you're probably closer to the spirit than you realize. wait until your boys are a little older. when it's harder to keep them safe because they're at school or whatever. and when they come home asking all sorts of crazy questions! i feel promptings concerning older girls alot more...does that make sense?
Post a Comment