Monday, September 27, 2010

Cedar Canyon Half Marathon

It was a family event last weekend at the first annual Cedar Canyon Half Marathon. We loaded the buses at 6am with talk of the $200 bet between Jace and Jim. Considering that Cassie and Bev and I were the only ones out of all of us that had actually ran really far it was pretty good odds to have all of us finish. On the the bet, Jace was "training" for the St. George Marathon and Jim bet Jace in this half that he could beat him without any training at all. Two hundred bucks for the grand prize.


The race was beautiful being in the mountains and somewhat nice until after to have gravity on your side. It was pretty steep on some parts. Jeff, Jim and I ran together and we started off pretty fast 8 min miles, not what I was planning but I couldn't let them beat me. Cassie was way ahead of us all as usual so we kept an 8:30 pace consistently till mile 11. I was shocked that Jim was still with us to be honest but I give him props all the way, it just makes me sick though to think of talent wasted while I sit here working my untalented bum off. At about mile 8 Jeff stopped for a break and Jim confident as always pushed ahead of me a few hundred yards and yelled back, "see ya at the finish!" Ya right I said see you in a mile, which I did. Jeff caught back up and we all stayed together till 10, when Jeff pulled ahead, I was starting to feel the pace then and knew I wouldn't make it up the hill if I pushed it now, better to wait till 12. Jim stayed with me till we started the hill at 11 and I thankfully was glad to see him go. No offense Jim, what you did shouldn't be humanly possible, but it obviously was. We all finished two minutes or so apart. Jeff at 1:53, Me at 1:55, Jim at 1:57. Jayme came in next and did super awesome for her first! Then Jace came throwing his two bones at Jim before he finished and the Bev. It was probably the most fun I've had doing a race, mostly because of doing as a family. All the grandkids finished with Bev at the end, it was so cute and they were so excited.

No comments: